I have been blessed to teach with Magic Ears for the past 14 months! Today, I want to tell you all that you need to know before you apply!
Here are the current class hours available for Magic Ears.
The dark purple slots purple slots are peak time slots. If you open 60+ peak time slots in a month, you can earn an extra $1 for teach class (peak time and non peak time) that you teach.
The light purple slots are non peak time slots.
The yellow slots are special slots. These slots are only available during times where the students are not attending school, such as holiday breaks like Chinese New Year, and summer break.
Most teachers will make a starting pay of $9 per class + 2 $1 bonuses. Pay goes as follows:
$9 base pay
+ $1 for entering the first class of the day 8-10 minutes early (this will roll over to each class per day Beijing time, so note that you will need to enter your first morning class and first evening class of the day for the bonus to roll over)
+ $1 for opening 60+ peak time class slots for availability per month (this does not mean you have to teach 60 classes, you just have to open the slots for availability
= $11 per class, or $22 an hour
If you have a bachelors or masters degree in language education, an ESL certification AND 5+ years teaching experience (you must have all three) pay goes as follows:
$10 base pay
+ $1 for entering the first class of the day 8-10 minutes early
+$1 for opening 60+ peak time class slots per month
= $12 per class, or $24 an hour
You may be eligible for a raise at the end of each contract renewal.
Junior teachers will get a .25 cent per class raise
Senior teachers will get a .50 cent per class raise
Magic Masters will get a $1 per class raise
Let’s talk cancellations! In the case of an emergency or illness, you can cancel penalty free at any time. Let’s go through the different types of cancellations.
Sick cancellations: Anytime you are ill, Magic Ears would rather you take time off than teach ill and possibly not be at your best. You are never penalized for having to cancel due to illness. If you are the only care taker available for your children during class times, you may also cancel penalty free if they become ill.
Emergency Cancellations: This covers pretty much any type of situation out of your control. This can include natural disasters, power outages, family emergencies, etc.
Non-Emergency/non sick Cancellations: You get 2 days of non-emergency/sick cancellations per month. These cancellations need to be made at least 24 hours in advance in order to not be penalized. Cancellations within 24 hours but prior to 2 hours will be penalized $10. Cancellations within 2 hours of class time that are not due to emergency or illness will be counted as absent.
These cancellations count for the entire day, so if you are cancelling two classes within the same day, it will only count as one cancellation.
Keep in mind that an absence is a penalty of $20 and can result in a class suspension of up to one week, and 2 absences within one contract can lead to a contract termination.
Open Slot Cancellations: Open slots can be closed and opened at any time without penalties.
At Magic Ears, the company books classes for teachers instead of the parents. There are a few benefits to this method.
– You do not have to market yourself to parents to get bookings. Because of this, there is no waiting period for classes. You will begin teaching your first week.
– You will not have “regular” students. You’ll have new students to impress each class (maybe with the same bag of tricks).
– You are truly in control of when you open class slots to teach, because you aren’t working with the schedule “regular” students. All you have to do is open slots, and students will be randomly assigned to you that have scheduled classes for the same time as you.
Bookings are only confirmed 24 hours in advance. This is because parents can book/cancel classes all the way up to 24 hours before class time. Because of this, you will see bookings “dance” around the schedule, disappear, and appear up to that 24 hour mark. Each day, you will receive a confirmation email at 10pm BJT confirming your bookings for the next day.
Open slots cannot book within 24 hours. Once the confirmation email is sent, you will not be booked anymore class slots. The only exception would be the opportunity to open standby classes.
Standby slots are available on the booking schedule for Junior teachers (see chapter on rank) and above. 24 hours prior to class time, standby slots that are available on the platform. The class slots available will light up blue, and turn to purple when you click to book them.
Standby slots stay on the platform until all of the standby slots are filled. Sometimes these can go by quickly, and other times they will stay around longer. They will reappear at 12 hours prior to class time if more standby slots are needed due to emergency cancellations. To learn more about what standby classes are, see the “Standby Classes” chapter.
The amount of bookings are mainly dependent on what your teacher rank is, but there are a few things you can do to maximize your bookings.
– Make sure to open class slots at least 2 weeks in advance. This is the recommended time to maximize your bookings. You can close open slots with no penalty. You have 2 days a month to cancel booked slots prior to 24 hours without penalty. Cancellations due to illness or emergencies are never penalized.
– The more slots you open, the more slots you’ll be booked. If you only open very little slots, your bookings will reflect the same.
– Open peak time slots! These are the most likely slots to book. Weekends are also very popular for bookings.
– For any slots that do not fill, you can try to apply for standby classes 24 hours prior to class time to fill any holes in your schedule.
At Magic Ears, classes are scheduled by a booking system rather than the parents. This system has multiple benefits.
1) You will be guaranteed to teach, and will not go a week or even several days without teaching unless you want to.
2) You truly are choosing your own schedule, not what benefits a handful of students that have chosen you as their teacher.
3) While you may see a familiar face from time to time, you won’t have regulars. This means that you’ll always have new faces to be impressed with your classroom tricks and fun, because they haven’t seen it before.
Classes are scheduled depending on ranks.
Let’s take a look at each ranking.
Freshman- All new teachers start out at Freshmen rank. After 10 classes, you will either move to Benchmark or Junior. This will depend on your performance of the bottom lines: Teaching with passion, noise policy, and class progress. If you are able to follow the bottom lines well and demonstrate improvement throughout 10 classes, you’ll move to Junior rank. If you struggle with one or all of the bottom lines, you will move to Benchmark rank for more practice.
Magic Ears classes are a learning curve at first. You have to get used to the platform, following the bottom lines, and teaching the curriculum. Magic Ears understands this, which is why you will not be overwhelmed with classes at this stage, and it may take some time. This is to help prevent you from getting bad ratings from parents that could affect your ranking in the future.
During this time, you’ll receive feedback on your classes to help you improve. After you have taught 10 classes, allow 1-2 business days before your schedule fully opens.
Benchmark- If you are struggling with a bottom line or multiple bottom lines, this is the next rank you’ll move to after Freshmen. Your schedule will fully open up, but you will not get as many bookings as Junior teachers. Once you have shown improvement, you will rank up to Junior.
Junior- Junior teachers receive more bookings that benchmark teachers. Booking rates can change depending on the demand of students which can change depending on promotions or public holidays, this percentage can rise and fall depending on the situation. After 100 classes, you can be eligible to move to the next rank, which is Senior rank.
Tips for ranking to Senior:
1.) Apply for standbys to increase your booking rate, and number of classes taught. This will help you get to 100 classes quicker.
2) Since bookings are dependent on percentage of slots opened, the more you open, the more you will teach.
3) Really focus on preparing for each class and delivering your best class each time. Get into the mindset that every next class you teach should be the best you’ve ever taught.
4) Welcome feedback, and implement changes. Feedback is meant to help you!
Senior- In order to be Senior rank, you have to have taught at least 100 classes to be eligible, follow all three bottom lines, and be in the top 20% highest rated teachers. Ratings are based on the average of star ratings you have received from parents. At this rank, you’ll get about 80% classes book, which again, can rise and fall depending on the situation.
Note* Due to feedback from teachers, this ranking is currently being revised by the Magic Ears team to make it more attainable to all teachers that can follow the bottom lines and deliver great classes.
At this point, you will also be eligible for secondary positions including interviewing, training, workshop leader, supervisor, social media admin or more after you have taught 200 classes and reached senior rank! Typically, you are invited to work these positions, with the exception of workshop trainer, where you can create a presentation and submit it to the team for approval.
Tips on getting secondary positions:
1) You should be performing well in classes to prove that you can handle a secondary position. Remember, teaching always comes first.
2) Don’t be shy to communicate with the team. Make sure they know your name, and know who you are. Being a helpful, positive presence in social media groups or being helpful in sending suggestions to the team via email can be great ways to do this.
3) A positive attitude goes a long way! In some positions like interviewing and training, you will be representing the company. It is important to have a good attitude and be professional, as you will be part of the Magic Ears experience for fellow applicants.
Magic Master- This is the highest rank you can receive at Magic Ears. This means that you are in the top 5% highest rated teachers, and you will receive 100% bookings for your hard work and efforts.
The last thing to be mentioned is whether you can be demoted or not. The answer is yes! Here are the reasons that you could be demoted.
– No shows without emergency. 1 no show is a warning and suspension of up to one week. 2 no shows without emergency is a terminated contract. If you no show within your first 10 classes, you will have to teach 10 more classes before being considered for ranking up.
– If your ratings begin to sharply decrease, you can be demoted. It is important to maintain good classroom performance no matter what rank you are.
The standby program is essentially a sub teacher program that covers classes where teachers needed to cancel due to illness/emergencies, tech issues, or when there is a teacher no show.
Standby slots are available on the booking schedule for Junior teachers (see chapter on rank) and above. 24 hours prior to class time, standby slots are available on the platform. The class slots available will light up blue, and turn to purple when you click to book them.
Standby slots stay on the platform until all of the standby slots are filled. Sometimes these can go by quickly, and other times they will stay around longer. They will reappear at 12 hours prior to class time if more standby slots are needed due to emergency cancellations.
While some standby slots may convert to booked classes before the class time, most standbys will be transferred to you during the time you are supposed to be standing by. When this happens, you will not have time to preview the class material. You will immediately enter the classroom and may be picking up in class where another teacher had left off.
When you are standing by, you will click the “I’m here” button 5 minutes before class time on the teacher platform and standby until 15 minutes after class time. During this time if you are needed for a standby, you will receive a Skype call or message (this message/call will come from DingTalk starting Feb. 1st 2019) asking you to refresh the platform and enter the classroom.
If you are not needed during your standby, you will receive $5 for being available. If you end up teaching a standby class, you will receive base pay + a $2 bonus for standby. If you open 60+ peak time slots in one month, you will get an extra $1 bonus for each class you teach, including standbys.
Thanks for hanging out with me today and learning more about Magic Ears! If you have more questions please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kisha L. Russell